Search blog for knife crime info

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lawyer's knife killers cause same pain as mine

Did you see the news about murdered lawyer Tom ap Rhys Pryce? My heart goes out to his fiancée. She described his loss in an 'impact statement' to the court. She said it is impossible to convey in words the pain and horror at such a brutal end to her lover's life. As someone who was caught up in a knife killing - trying to help a victim - I feel almost the same.

Jacky Marshall's death was so needless at the hands of her killer Shane Freer. Talking with her family since, they too are devastated. Nothing goes away, it's with you all the time. The trauma, pain and loss - and what happens in these murders, killings and attacks - is just always there.

Murderered lawyer's fiancée tells of indescribable pain - Daily Mirror

And what about the latest revelations? Research shows street robbers are increasingly likely to kill for kicks not cash.

The Daily Mirror article I read said most attackers wanted to boost their "street cred", have a fight or just enjoy the "buzz" of committing crime.

One robber said: "It weren't for money. I had money. It was more like the buzz you get from doing things. I was more addicted to robbing than I was to drugs. I get a funny feeling robbing."

Another said: "It's for the fun. The point of street robbery is to get him to fight back, innit? If he won't fight back, we just give him a kick and go."

A third said: "I picked a fight with the first people I come across. I started hitting one. Then I jumped on him."

A third of those interviewed had been arrested more than 50 times.

Criminologists Trevor Bennett and Fiona Brookman, who carried out the study for the Economics and Social Research Council, said: "This worrying social problem is poorly understood."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are keenly sought - they are always needed, to be honest! I always publish them unless they are spam, abusive etc. I will be notified and they will be reviewed and published asap.